"True Christians Support Prop 8"

I once read this on a heinous protest poster, ON a pro prop 8 video I was forced to watch at church. (I left shortly after) And lately I have been feeling like this subject of "True Christianity" or geniune faith based on the Gay/Lesbian issue has been called into question yet again. And quite frankly it makes me a heart sick.

I am a Christian. I believe the teachings of Jesus Christ are beautiful and amazing and I do my best every day to uphold them and live as wonderfully as He did. I search, I question, and I DO NOT flatter myself to think I've got it all figured out. Any Christian that does is deluded in teaching and in thought. However, I do know this one thing, the thing He himself put above all else, and that is "The Greatest of these is Love"

I will now go through some of the reasons I feel this way. Arguments I may have. And hope to get through to one more Christian out there. Maybe I won't...let's face it...I probably won't. But I have to say something!

Point 1: "Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you. For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him; but tax collectors and harlots believed him; and when you saw it, you did not afterward relent and believe him." (Matthew 21:31b, 32)

Faith is what a relationship with God is based on. Belief in God and Jesus' teachings. And all too often people who find themselves in love with a person of the same sex feel they are not allowed to continue in their faith. They feel persecuted by the church and turn away. I know this from experience. I know by watching my family and friends take this route in some ways. I wish they all felt it safe to continue to believe that God still loves them and that perhaps they may still get into heaven if they keep their relationship with Him strong and seek Love in this world. They might not turn from thier morals and beliefs. Which brings me to

Point 2: Jesus NEVER talked about homosexuality

However, he was VERY open about his association with harlots, and theives, and taxpayers. People who, a lot like Homosexuals today, didn't feel wanted or allowed in the church. And when the adulterous woman was being brought to be stoned, Jesus said, "He without sin cast the first stone" and you know what I think? The Prop 8 campaign was a big HUGE stone throwing session. ALL OF US SIN! EVERY ONE OF US! You did at some point today or else we wouldn't need Christ. And people who are labeled homosexual do not embody that "sin" 24 hours a day. If the act of two men or two women indulging in sexual activity is what is labeled the "sin" then why is their whole life tainted by the label? I have friends who are "Homosexual" but are celebate or aren't in a relationship. Is it okay then for them to come back to church during that time? And surely on Sunday morning during service they aren't indulging in the act...is it okay then? My point is that, You, I'm sure have lied at some point. Does the church label you a liar and make sure that you aren't allowed to be a leader or childrens pastor because sometimes you lie and you might just tell an untruth to those precious children? No. They don't. So then where does the "all sin is equal" come into play?

Point 3: Romans 1: 26,27 "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

Yeah, I'll use your go-to verse. (at least the one that counts, Leviticus can't be taken seriously unless we take ALL that is said there into our daily beliefs)
for arguments sake, lets say this is the truth and that it is a sin and wrong. Is it not between them and God? I personally have never had to deal with homosexual thoughts, or feelings. However, I can say, I do not practice such acts. So, I'm okay as far as that verse goes. So why would I feel it my duty to point out my loved one's sins? I believe the more genuine and helpful approach is to encourage them to seek God in all that they do. BUUUT as stated previously, they feel like they are not loved, or that God in not an option anymore. Not because of the word, or Jesus. But, I believe, because of the way that the church handles the situation.

I have a friend who will not be named who LOVED the Lord with all of his/her heart. They wrestled with their feelings for someone of the same sex. They sought after God THE ENTIRE way. And didn't feel condemned because they knew that no matter what they were seeking Him and knew things would turn out. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever been able to be a spectator too as well as a confidant for. I LOVED that they were confident in their relationship in God and finally came to peace with what He had revealed to them. THAT is what i pray and hope for. I was there for them. I loved them through it all. But nowhere did I condemn or point out the wrong. I too was confident in the Love they and God shared and knew it would be okay in the end. I will not tell you where they landed, just that they were able to get there with God by thier side. And that was AMAZING!

Point 4: The bible is never changing, you can't pick and choose what you want

Umm...

I think over the last...oh...I dont' know...Thousands of years. We have INTERPRETTED the bible a million different ways. We dropped all that stuff in leviticus (except that one about laying man with a man) We now eat meat...And I'm pretty sure those racists in the south during the 1960's backed their racism with the bible. They have since changed as well. Church never used to be a routine. A sunday morning ritual that is the only thing the "Christian" does to prove that they in fact are christians. That too has changed...not even changed...somehow become what the church is "supposed" to do. That is a BIG variation from what the bible teaches...but that isn't barked from the pulpit every sunday. So don't say that you can't "pick and choose" what to believe from the bible when as a whole we have done just that for the duration of our religion.

Point 5: Permiscuity is wrong...PERIOD!

I do not condone these actions. And though I have argued many times over with personal friends about it just being a "perception" of the gay lifestyle. I still believe it to be rampant in the gay community and wish for it to stop. HOWEVER, I will say that permiscuity is not solely an attribute of the homosexual community. Surely, Christians should not be participating in this act, however, some are. And they are just as much sinning as any Gay guy/gal. But they don't have laws passed against them...do they? I also have homosexual friends and loved ones who have been with ONE person for the duration. NEVER slept around. They are settled and as far as I can tell IN LOVE. Are they wrong for being with the person they fell in love with? I don't think they are


I know the 20-30 arguments that Christians may use to rebuttle some of what I've said. But just know that it won't make a difference. I'm a Christian too. I used to robotically spew those things out myself. I don't buy it anymore. LOVE is the answer. JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, GOODNESS, FAITHFULNESS, GENTLENESS, AND SELF-CONTROL. If we use all of those weapons I believe them to be a million times more affective than the way we've been handling this issue and so many others in the past.

I LOVE THE LORD! I seek Him daily. Just because I disagree with you on this subject, does not make me less of a Christian than you are. Does NOT make me lost. I have come to where I am based on YEARS of searching and seeking. I just felt I needed to write this all down. Get it out there. Have my voice heard. My prayer is not for the Homosexuals in this world, but for the Christians that don't seem to understand what Jesus really taught us. Just as his were not for the Prostitutes but for the reformation of the church.

“There comes a time when silence becomes betrayal,” - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered by Blogger.